½ cup pine nuts
2 tablespoons fresh rosemary leaves
4 mackerel fillets (approximately 5 ounces each)
2 Persian cucumbers
juice of 1 lemon
2 segments of preserved lemon peel, finely chopped
1 tablespoon chopped mint
- To make the salsa, thinly slice the cucumber using a potato peeler.
- Place the slices in a non reactive bowl and add the lemon juice, preserved lemon, and mint. Mix it all together and rest a plate over the surface to weigh the ingredients down.
- Chill in the refrigerator for 2 to 3 hours.
- To prepare the remainder of the dish, grind the pine nuts and rosemary together in a spice grinder.
- Press the mixture over each side of the fish with the flat blade of a knife. Cover the grill pan with foil and grill the fish over moderate heat for 4 minutes each side, taking care not to burn the pine nuts.
- Serve with the cucumber and lemon salsa and steamed spinach.