While it’s true that with so many good fats this salad is higher in calories than many others, it’s so good for you that it’s better to cut calories in other ways or increase your exercise than go without these fats.
4 cups mixed greens
½ cup chopped flat-leaf parsley
¼ cup slivered almonds
3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
1 teaspoon whole-grain mustard
cracked black pepper
pinch sea salt
1 large avocado, sliced
- Wash and dry the salad greens and parsley and place them in a mixing bowl.
- In a small pan, dry-roast the slivered almonds over a medium heat until they turn golden and became fragrant.
- Combine the oil, vinegar, mustard, and seasoning in a small jar.
- Pour all but 1 teaspoon of the dressing over the leaves.
- Toss the leaves and arrange them in a serving dish.
- Arrange the avocado over the leaves, sprinkle the remaining dressing on, and top with the almond slivers.
Note: It often happens that a beautiful salad is spoiled after the dressing is tossed in. All the small bits drop to the bottom of the bowl and if you try to retrieve them, the leaves gets knocked around and bruised. The trick to keeping the salad beautiful is to toss with most of the dressing in a large bowl other than the one you are planning to serve the salad in. Once dressed, place them in the serving bowl and top with the other salad items. Then, with a teaspoon, drizzle the remaining dressing over the undressed ingredients.